Col. Raymond S. Robinson IV is the Commander of the 164th Airlift Wing, Memphis, Tennessee. One of the Air National Guard’s six strategic airlift wings, the 164th is trained and equipped to provide rapid global mobility in C-17 aircraft supporting National Security Objectives. In peacetime, the 164th reports to the Governor of Tennessee providing emergency relief and support to civil defense authorities preserving peace, order and public safety. The Wing comprises approximately 1,000 personnel with over 300 military civil service and civilian employees.
Col. Robinson graduated from the United States Air Force Academy Preparatory School in May 1987. Next, he received his commission as a graduate of the United States Air Force Academy in May 1991. As the Commander, 164th Operations Group, Memphis, Tennessee, he oversaw flying operations for eight C-5A aircraft before leading the conversion to eight C-17A aircraft. Moreover, he led over 170 Air Guard Technicians, Active Guard/Reservists, and Traditional Guardsmen supporting and executing strategic airlift missions. As a Command Pilot, he has commanded combat support missions during Operations NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM and NEW DAWN.
In addition to his military career, he is a MD-11 Pilot with a major commercial parcel service. Prior to his current position, Col. Robinson served as the Vice Wing Commander, 164th Airlift Wing, Memphis, Tennessee. While serving as the Vice Wing Commander, he was deployed to Al Udeid, Qatar as the Commander of the 385th Air Expeditionary Group.
1991 Bachelor of Science, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1995 Master of Science, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. August 1991–September 1992, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Wash.
2. September 1992–July 1995, C-17 Test Project Manager, Edwards AFB, Calif.
3. July 1995–December 1998, Asst Flight Commander/C-141 Aircraft Commander, McChord AFB, Wash.
4. December 1998–December 2000, C-141 Instructor Pilot/Training Flight Commander, McGuire AFB, N.J.
5. December 2000–November 2005, C-141C Instructor Pilot, 155th Airlift Squadron, Memphis Air National Guard Base,
6. November 2005–April 2008, C-5A Pilot/Flight Commander, 155th Airlift Squadron, Memphis ANGB, Tenn.
7. April 2008–July 2010, Operations Officer, 155th Airlift Squadron, Memphis ANGB, Tenn.
8. July 2010–June 2011, Commander, 155th Airlift Squadron, Memphis ANGB, Tenn.
9. June 2011–January 2015, Commander, 164th Operations Group, Memphis ANGB, Tenn.
10. January 2015–May 2016, Vice Commander, 164th Airlift Wing, Memphis ANGB, Tenn. (August 2015–December 2015,
Commander, 385th Air Expeditionary Group, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
11. May 2016–Present, Commander, 164th Airlift Wing, Memphis ANGB, Tenn.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,600 military and 4,000 civilian
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, T-38A, F-16, F-15, C-23, A-37, T-1, C-141B/C, C-5A/B, C-17A, B747, B757, B767 and MD-11
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVEDATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major June 26, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 8, 2006
Colonel Dec. 17, 2011
(Current as of March 2018)